Search This Blog

Thursday, October 31, 2013

In the minds of 3-year-olds

If you've been following my blog this year, you know that my classroom has some special cases.  According to my director, a lot of them "need to be here." Ok, fine. I love them all but sometimes I don't know whether to laugh or go crazy. Here's a funny story of one of the 3-year-olds:
A few kids in the class like to play checkers so I brought out the board this morning.  Keep in mind that this child is typical, as opposed to having a disability. The 3-year-old wanted to play so I said, "Sure! That kid over there can teach you how and I'll be right there."  Keep in mind that this child is typical, as opposed to having a disability. I was helping another child with a puzzle and the kid was playing with a toy from another center. I finished the puzzle and went over to help.
Me: "Ok, put the pieces on the board."
3YO: "I wanna play!"
Me: "Ok, I'll help you. Put the pieces right here."
3YO: "I wanna play!" (Still playing with the toy from the other center)
Meanwhile, other kids are coming over. Now it's a show.
"I wanna play!"
"If you won't let me help you, I'm going to give someone else a turn.  Let's put the pieces here and we'll play together."
Nothing. He just sat there, playing with the other toy. Finally I said, "Ok, I'm going to give this child a turn."
Complete meltdown.  "I WANNA PLAY! I WANNA PLAY!" Now I know why some sets say "6 and up."

Dinosaur week next week! Hopefully I'll be able to get the lesson up in my shop soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment